A friend and I were at Tessuti fabrics the other day taking advantage of their sale (squeee!) and we saw the most beautiful of beautiful fabric, called Flower Parade for obvious reasons.
The fabric asked to be made into a skirt and Marie was my answer.
When I first started sewing I made a Marie (also out of florals) - but I had used a lawn and lined it with a heavy cotton, used the wrong interfacing for the waist band and generally did a pretty shitty job! I think that skirt ended up with a friend in London on one of my travels...
As the weave is really big I lined it with some (slightly stretchy) silky fabric I had left over from a failed dress attempt (we all have them so its best to just move on!).
I traced a teeny tiny thickness waist band and interfaced it with some light weight woven interfacing, I also interfaced the top half of the skirt to add some strength to the pleats as well as using the lining as "underlining" where the pleats were to add some more strength.
I used a dress zip rather than an invisible one (as I wasn't sure it the fabric would be robust enough to handle it, but mostly because I had one that matched the colour really well!).
After a hurried sewing evening she emerged in all her florally splendour as the most beautiful skirt in all the world - I adore her.
Excuse the pics- this is me at 8am in the morning.
|The back is the same as the front - easy peasy pattern|
|Only just noticed that the sides vaguely match! boo ya!|